Cross-posted from FAO website.
With the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the world has committed to eradicate hunger and eliminate all forms of malnutrition by 2030. The UN Decade of Action on Nutrition (2016-2025) proclaimed by the UN General Assembly on 1 April 2016 calls for accelerated global action to achieve this goal.
The UN General Assembly Resolution places the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition in the context of follow-up to the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2). It tasks the co-convenors of ICN2, FAO and WHO, to organise the implementation of the Decade through an inclusive and participatory process, working “with existing institutions and with available resources”. The UNSCN is supporting this effort by initiating an online discussion to collect the ideas of all relevant actors. Specifically, and taking the ICN2 outcomes as a framework, the UNSCN wants to know what elements you believe should be taken into consideration in the development of the Work Programme for the implementation of the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition.
We would therefore like to invite you to share your views on how best to maximise the potential of the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition, as part of an ongoing consultation with the Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition (FSN Forum) entitled, Maximizing the Impact of the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition. The forum will be open to comments through Oct. 11, 2016.
In participating in the consultation, you may want to consider the following questions:
- What are your expectations for the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition and how could it make a significant difference in improving nutrition and food security of the people in your country within the next ten years?
- What critical activities need to be included in the Work Programme for the implementation of the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition to reach the 2025 global nutrition targets? Which activities would need to be accelerated in your country to reach these targets? How could these activities be funded?
- What can be done to accelerate and improve the quality of commitments from the various actors? What role(s) should public and private actors play in monitoring their implementation?
- How can other relevant forums, such as the CFS and the UNSCN, contribute, and how can other movements (e.g. human rights, environment) be involved in the Decade?
This consultation is part of a wider discussion to help elaborate the Work Programme for the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition.
- More information is available on the consultation page.
About the FSN Forum
The Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition (FSN Forum) is an online platform for multi-stakeholder dialogue on food security and nutrition facilitated by FAO’s Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
The FSN Forum allows registered members and other stakeholders to engage in policy dialogue and knowledge sharing on food security and nutrition both globally and in targeted geographic areas.
About the UN Decade of Action on Nutrition
The Decade is a global effort driven by Members States of the United Nations and convened by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO) in collaboration with the World Food Programme (WFP), the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and including other UN bodies and other entities such as the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) and the United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition (UNSCN).