On Thursday, January 18, 2018, A4NH will cohost the US release of "Nutrition and Food Systems," from the High Level Panel of Experts (HLPE) on Food Security and Nutrition. The launch event will be held at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Worldwide, one person in three is malnourished today and one in two could be malnourished by 2030 if nothing is done. While hunger remains a critical concern, overweight and obesity are rapidly increasing all over the world, including in low-income countries. Therefore malnutrition in all its forms - undernutrition, micronutrient deficiencies, overweight and obesity – now affects all countries. Economic growth alone will not be enough to end hunger and malnutrition. Nutrition has to be set as an explicit objective in coherent and cross-sectoral strategies, policies and programs.
In this context, the new report analyses how food systems influence people’s food choices and nutritional status. At this event officially launching the report in the United States, the lead author will present key findings and commentators will reflect on elements of the report. The event is co-organized by IFPRI, HLPE, HarvestPlus, and A4NH.
WHAT: US Launch of "Food Systems and Nutrition" from the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition
WHEN: Thursday, January 18, 2018, from 9:30 to 11AM EST
WHERE: International Food Policy Research Institute, 12th Floor Conference Center, 1201 Eye Street NW, Washington, DC, 20005. Unable to attend in person? Click here to learn how you can watch online.
WHO: The speakers will be:
- Eileen Kennedy, Professor, Tufts University
- Jessica Fanzo, Bloomberg Distinguished Associate Professor of Global Food & Agricultural Policy and Ethics, and Director of the Global Food Ethics and Policy Program, Johns Hopkins University
- Derek Headey, Senior Research Fellow, Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division, IFPRI
- Barbara Hughes, Director, Office of Maternal and Child Health and Nutrition, Bureau for Global Health, USAID
- Lynette Neufeld, Director, Knowledge Leadership, GAIN
- Jonathan Wadsworth, Lead Agriculture Specialist, The World Bank Group
- Mourad Moursi, Senior Research Fellow, HarvestPlus, IFPRI
For further information, please visit the event page on IFPRI's website.