As the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH) enters its second phase, a group of seven organizations who comprise the program’s managing partners will be key to enacting its research strategy.
The seven partners, led by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) bring to the table a diverse portfolio of expertise and focus which, when put together, form a strong foundation from which the program will grow. One of the hallmarks of the partnership’s strength is the fact that it not only comprises a broad representational swath of the CGIAR, but also brings in two external organizations to broaden the perspective and deepen the knowledge base.
The organizations have representatives on the A4NH Planning and Management Committee, work to recruit and co-manage Flagship and cluster leaders and researchers, and support resource mobilization, communication, and advocacy for the entire Research Program.
“A4NH is extremely fortunate to be supported by such a diverse group of managing partner organizations,” noted A4NH Program Director John McDermott. “The experience they bring to the table, and their commitment to improving the lives of people around the world through better nutrition and health, sets our mission on a path to success.”
The A4NH managing partners are:
- Bioversity International, which leads partnerships with Rome-based UN agencies such as FAO, IFAD, and WFP, and co-leads a research cluster in Flagship 1: Food Systems for Healthier Diets;
- The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), which leads the country coordination team in Vietnam and co-leads Flagship 2: Biofortification, all research clusters in Flagship 2, and a research cluster in Flagship 1;
- The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), which, as the Lead Center, hosts the Program Management Unit and cross-cutting units; leads Flagship 4: Supporting Policies, Programs, and Enabling Action through Research (SPEAR), all research clusters in Flagship 4, and the country coordination teams in Bangladesh and India; and co-leads Flagship 2, all research clusters in Flagship 2, and a research cluster in Flagship 1.
- The International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), which leads a research cluster in Flagship 3: Food Safety, and the country coordination team in Nigeria;
- The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), which leads Flagship 3, two research clusters in Flagship 3, and a research cluster in Flagship 5: Improving Human Health; and co-leads Flagship 5, a research cluster in Flagship 5, and the country coordination team in Ethiopia;
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), which leads partnerships with public health research institutions and a research cluster in Flagship 5, co-leads Flagship 5 and a research cluster in Flagship 5; and
- Wageningen University and Research (Wageningen UR), which leads Flagship 1 and co-leads all Flagship 1 research clusters.